My Learner Id Series
Directed activity sheets encourage students to consider their world, how they like to learn, how they perceive themselves as learners and how they feel about school.
‘My Learning Ways’ introduces learner dispositions and key approaches to learning that are associated with effective learning habits. Students are encouraged to recognise how these dispositions present as habitual behaviours and responses and are invited to take ownership over strategies to improve their efficiencies in learning.
My LID3 introduces the following learner dispositions at a general level: Attention, Memory, Learning Behaviours, Metacognition and Organisation. Attention and Learning Behaviours are explored in depth in My LID 4, Memory and Mindsets are explored in detail in My LID 5 and in preparation for secondary school, Organisation and Metacognition are explored in My LID 6.
My Learner ID Series supports 30 Statements of ‘Highly Effective Practice’ in the new framework for school self-evaluation. Statement such as:
‘Pupils see themselves as learners and demonstrate this in their positive and reflective approach to classwork and homework’ (p.13)
‘Pupils assess their progress and are aware of their strengths and areas for development as learners’ (p.16)
‘Pupils take responsibility for their own learning..’ (p.16)
‘Teachers use parent-teacher meetings to support parents’ meaningful involvement in their children’s education and development as learners’ (p.17)
‘Those in leadership and management roles value pupils’ views..’ (p. 20)
My LID supports teachers in fulfilling the following teacher guidelines to record:
- Personal experiences and perceptions of learning
- Pupils views about what currently helps them learn and what strategies they feel may help
While not a mental health resource, My LID nurtures learner well-being through empowerment, responsibility, ownership and voice in learning. Ownership and efficacy in learning inevitably will have a reciprocal beneficial effect on learner well-being.
My LID Series compliments Aistear by:
- Developing learner dispositions
- In nurturing children to see themselves as capable learners
- Enabling children to express themselves creatively and imaginatively
My LID Series fulfil the intent of AFL by using assessment in the classroom as a tool to improve students’ learning characterised by:
- Sharing learning goals
- Helping students to recognise the standard they are aiming for
- Involving students in assessing their own learning
- Providing feedback
- Communicating confidence that every child can improve
My Learner ID Series provides a coherent, developmental and stage appropriate framework for tracking the voice of the learner through Assessment for Learning (AfL) methodologies, self and peer assessment opportunities, use of rubrics and opportunities to respond.
My LID moves beyond the guidelines in introducing open-ended assessment methodologies, PCP frameworks and in focusing the learner, through varied assessment methodologies, on learning how to learn and actualising as a learner.
My LID Series:
- Provides a glimpse of the worldview of the child at key transition points
- Enables new teachers to get a sense of the ‘who’ of the child, ‘how’ they learn best and their developing sense of themselves as learner.